FastDomain Web Hosting Help
How To Create and Edit An FTP Account
This article will show you how to setup an FTP account and how to use the account.
- Access the FTP Manager
- Create a new FTP account
- General FTP Connection Settings
- Application Specific Settings
- Using SFTP
Access the FTP Manager
These steps will explain how to access the FTP Manager.
- Login to your FastDomain cPanel
- Click the "Advanced" tab towards the left side of the account.
- Choose FTP from the sub-menu, or click the FTP Accounts icon from the Files section. Either will bring you to the 'FTP Accounts' page.
Create a new FTP account
Once you have accessed the FTP Accounts page, these steps will explain how to create an FTP account.
- Under the "ADD FTP Account" section, enter a Username:
- Please note that the username will automatically have your domain added to the end. Example: email@example.com
- Please note the password strength indicator must show 20 or better before the password will be accepted.
- This will be filled in automatically with the username you entered.
- This will correspond to a directory on your account.
- If the directory does not exist it will be created.
- When this FTP account connects they will be taken to this direcory.
- The FTP account will not be able to access anything outside the this directory.
- Entering "/" will give this FTP account full access to your files.
General FTP Connection Settings
FTP connections normally require 4 entries to successfully connect and transfer files.
- Domain name or IP Address
- Port (Usually port 21)
Note: This information is given when setting up a new FTP account, the default user was created as you signed up and was emailed with your sign up email.
Application Specific Settings
The following articles are instructions for recommended FTP applications.
For a more secure FTP client upload, use SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol port 22)
You will need to enable SSH/Shell access on your account. If you do not already have SSH/Shell access, Click Here to learn how.
Note: Only your main FTP/cPanel username can be used for SFTP access. FTP accounts created using the FTP Accounts tool will not work.