FastDomain Web Hosting Help
How To Use & Change Temporary URL with Wordpress
Need hosting for a new or existing WordPress site? Sign up at FastDomain.com.When transferring your WordPress installation to FastDomain you may need to use the temporary URL, this URL will allow you to access your site before the Name Servers have propagated to ours.
A few of the symptoms or issues you may be running into are:
- My Domain name isn't resolving to my new account yet.
- I don't get any images or themes to show up, just the text.
- I can't log into my Administrator Panel, because logging in wants to take me to a url with my domain name in it.
- How can I change my settings to allow me to view my WordPress Blog before my domain name resolves?
There are a few cases where you might need to go in and change a URL in the WordPress database.
Changing to the temp URL
- My domain name isn't resolving to my new account yet, so I have to visit my WordPress install with a URL like hhttp://box###.temp.domains/~username/. I don't get any images or themes to show up, just the text.
- I also can't log into my Administrator Panel, because logging in wants to take me to a URL with my domain name in it. How can I change my settings to allow me to view my WordPress blog before my domain name resolves?
- The URL appears like http://www.domain.com/addondomain/ and there are no redirects in the .htaccess
- If WordPress was installed to an addon domain, then the database URL will need to be changed to something like http://www.addondomain.com
This requires a little MySQL trick. It's two simple edits in the database.
- First, make sure that your WordPress installation is complete, and you know what the name of the database is. If Fantastico installed WordPress for you, it's likely the name of the database is something like:
- If you don't know the database name, you can use the File Manager to look inside the wp-config.php file to find out its name.
- Right click wp-config.php and select Code Edit. You can now see the username and database.
- Next, log into your cPanel. Look for the Databases section.
- Click on the phpMyAdmin icon.
- Once here, you need to select the database name on the left. (i.e. "_wrd1")
- This will display the names of the Tables to the right.
- Now there are icons to the right of the tables. The First one is called Browse. Click Browse.
- Next, the database entries are listed in columns and rows. You want to select the pencil icon (for Edit) on the left for the top row (option_name is "site url")
- Once you've clicked the pencil icon, you will see your domain name listed something like this:
- You want to change that to something like this:
- This step is crucial so you don't make a mistake. Please take a moment to verify the URL you are typing in here is correct, or you won't see any change.
- Once you've changed the URL, down at the bottom there is a Go button. Select the Go button.
- Select the Next button to go to the next page
- Look for the option_name home
- Select the pencil icon to Edit.
- Make the same URL change here as you did for siteurl earlier. And click the Go button.
- Visit your Temporary URL (http://box###.temp.domains/~username/) for your blog, and all the images will show up just fine.
Changing from the temp URL
Once you've changed your name servers so your domain name resolves to your account, you don't have to go back into phpMyAdmin to make the change again.
- Log into your WordPress Admin Panel
- Click the tab Settings. Here, you will see WordPress and Site address (URL):
- It is set to your Temporary URL (http://box###.temp.domains/~username/).
- Change this to your domain name with any folders required, and you're back to normal.
Knowledgebase Article 594,099 views bookmark
sharetags: blog domain ip press resolve resolving staging temp temporary url word wordpress wrong
Share or save this via:
Recommended Help Content
This article will explain how to change the Site URL or Home URL setting in WordPress. This may be useful if you have moved your WordPress site or are planning to move your WordPress site.
How to change the name of your WordPress site without WP Tools
This article will explain how to change your WordPress Urls
Related Help Content
If you have a WordPress blog hosted on WordPress.com, you can easily export it and import it to WordPress that is installed on your hosting account with fastdomain. Login to the WordPress Data
We provide a program which makes it very easy to install third party scripts to your hosting account. If you want your website to have a WordPress blog, you can use MOJO Marketplace to install WordPress.
The first step in the process requires a WordPress theme, preferably one that includes a one-click demo import. Any of the FastDomain Certified Themes on FastDomain should come with this feature.
Knowledgebase Article 6,024 views tags: MOJO Marketplace demo install press setup theme word wordpress
Install Plugins These steps will help you install and select a WordPress plugin for your blog. Inside the WordPress Dashboard, select the Add New link from the Plugins menu. You can search for a plug
Learn how to use WordPress, WordPress started as just a blogging system, but has evolved to be used as full content management system and so much more through the thousands of plugins, widgets, and themes now available.
How can I change the primary domain name on my account?
Prevent Spam These steps will help you prevent users and robots from posting Spam on your WordPress blog. Inside the WordPress Dashboard, select Settings in the navigation bar on the left. From the G